Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Reflections

Well.. it has been FOREVER since I posted. And, since I'm sure anyone out of the tiny amount of people previously following this, has given up hope that I would ever post again, I guess I will be writing this for my own benefit, but I will enjoy every moment of it :D. (And, good luck to anyone who wants to read through this entire thing...) :)

First off, I have survived my first year of college, and remained rather unscathed.. if not just a little wiser, too. (well hopefully i learned something.. what else is school for, right?) It is just a local 2 year college, but I am getting as many general studies out of the way as possible, while continuing my music studies through some classes, as well as with a private piano teacher, and doing some teaching myself :).

I have learned that one of the best ways of learning is by teaching. That may not always be the case, but when it is, it can be quite fulfilling to be a part of. You watch your students grow, and you learn something new every day, whether it is just how to help each individual, sitting back and watching the amazing sponge-like retention some of these kids seem to posses, or learning when patience would be the best option.

I have also learned that enthusiasm and happiness seem to be transferable. And, conversely, frustration or impatience seems to work the same way. When I am excited about something my student has done, they seem to pick up on it and whether they realize it or not, they start working just a little harder, doing just a little better. And when they reach the end of that first level of books, they realize just how much they have learned when it seems like just yesterday they would never be able to make music. A little encouragement goes a long way.

I think this concept works in life as well. People can feel when someone is genuinely happy, and most of the time others want to be around a person like that. (Whether people admit it or not, I don't believe anyone enjoys being unhappy.) I have been told before that I always seem so happy; I don't know that "seem" should qualify that sentence. I believe happiness is what everyone should aspire to, (and what our Heavenly Father wants for us) and I try my best to have that positive outlook at all times.

It's like what I told my Spanish teacher back in sophmore year of high school. I didn't want to use "estar" for describing being happy because estar is used for temporary emotions. I had told her I was the "ser" version of happy, because ser is more permanent, longer-lasting. I know there are always trials and hard times to get through, but I know I can still be happy because of the knowledge I have of a Plan of Happiness from our Heavenly Father for us, and of families lasting forever, and the Atonement of a Savior who cares about every single person who ever lived, is living now, and who ever will live.

I know it seems unbelievable or "without fathom" :) but believe it. I know I do, and it is a life altering conclusion. No matter what, I always have a loving Savior and Father in Heaven. I have also been blessed with the love of amazing parents, siblings/their spouses, and adorable nieces and nephews, not to mention the amazing friends that have come into my life.

I will forever be grateful for this knowledge I have of the gospel and I know I don't always try as hard as I could to share this happiness and knowledge I have with my friends, or to serve and love everyone as Jesus did, so I'm taking this opportunity to just let people know what I believe, and just how important it is to me.

I wasn't intending to have a religious or philosophical discussion when I began this post, just sometimes a tangent feels like the way to go. :) Anyway, the summer has been amazing and filled with family Disneyland trips and bonding with friends. I started learning guitar, and i know a few chords and songs now, and I have a new goal of being amazing at it! lol, we will see how far that goes. Basically, I just wanted to count my blessings before I have to plunge back in for another semester of school and work (even though I have still been working in the summer :) somehow it feels more official during the school year when you balance it with studying.)

So.. I think that is all I will make people suffer through reading. :)

<3 Laura

(if you have any questions about my church or beliefs, just ask me, or go to mormon.org)

No comments: