I have slowly become that person
Who nobody wants to be around
The complainer, the broke, the single one
The driver of life into the ground.
My laugh used to come so much easier,
My smile, natural, unforced.
I used to make friends so quickly
Now again I’m severely off course.
Things that before made me happy
Things that gave me hope
Seem but a distant memory
Looking up from the bottom of the slope.
I have let myself fall once again
Into that valley of dread
The lies that I thought were gone
Are only a thought away in my head.
Somehow, I’m starting to believe again
That there is no point in this life
That school isn’t worth the effort
And dating won’t make me a wife.
It is so much easier, I say,
To shut out the rest of the world
To stay in my room all day
Under the covers, in a ball curled.
Safe where I don’t disappoint
Where there are no expectations
From me, or anyone else
To those unreachable destinations
To the dreams I’ve locked inside
So deep even I can barely see
The person I once was
Dreaming of the person I wanted to be.
It seems dreams can change
And not always for the better
Is It better to conform?
And alone just leave the matter?
Should reality always win
Over childhood aspirations?
Why, when I get this close
Do I have these hesitations?
Who am I really?
What is it I am meant to be?
Have I taken a path unknowingly?
Am I too far gone to see?
Is it too late to change,
Who I am, Who I’ll become?
Or am I really stuck
Forever under apathy’s thumb?

No comments:
Post a Comment